Call Us On: 0121 331 4746

  
  

About

Grosvenor Road Studios, was acquired by Black Voices in 2003 with the support of Arts Council England. The studios are managed by a voluntary board which brings diverse skills and knowledge of the music industry and community development. The studio is being re-developed and modernised to better serve the local community, the city and beyond:

  • It boasts the largest recording studio in the West Midlands
  • A workspace of 7 offices for creative and cultural and community businesses
  • A centre for arts training and development
  • A hub for arts and community development
  • A music garden for the local children and their families (under development) 

Grosvenor Road Studios is a not for profit organisation. The aim is to reinvest the money into its facilities and creating opportunities to develop community services.

In late 2016 Birmingham City Council awarded Grosvenor Road Studios a contract to deliver a program of training and development. CREATE> creative renewal, enterprise, arts training & empowerment consists of 10 networking events and 12 training sessions. It is designed to provide practical guidance on how practitioners and organizations can move to the next level in their development – identifying bottlenecks in terms of skills, knowledge and contacts and finding creative ways to move practitioners and their organizations forwards.

One of the themes of CREATE is redefining the mainstream.  We aspire to play a full part in nurturing home-grown talent to be seen in the regionally, nationally and internationally.

The legacy…

Grosvenor Road Studios, formerly the renowned Hollick & Taylor Studios, has been Birmingham’s best keep secret for over sixty years. During that period, many firsts have been recorded here including: All the original sound effects for Gerry Anderson’s Thunderbirds Are Go, the fabulous brass band rendition of Brighouse and Ratrick’s Floral Dance, The first Brum Beat album, Jasper Carrott’s Funky Moped.

The fabric of the original house dates to 1872. At this time Handsworth was part of Staffordshire, but in 1911, with a population of 70,000, Handsworth became a major suburb of Birmingham.

The Taylors bought the house in 1945 and converted part of the house into a recording studio soon afterwards. It became known as Hollick & Taylor studios when John Taylor teamed up with Charles Hollick, a technical engineer with whom he had previously worked.

The studio has been changed and refurbished several times over the past sixty years, adapting to suit the demands of the music industry and accommodating new changes in technology.

Following the death of Charles Hollick, the studio changed its name to Grosvenor Recording Studio Complex and continued producing high quality recordings until the beginning of the 21st Century.

As it stands today, Grosvenor Road Studios houses one of the largest recording studios in the Midlands. Acoustically treated and fit for a solo or orchestral performance, the studio can set up to 50 people.

The latest development project is the conversion of the extensive gardens to create a garden for local children and their families. The garden has a theme of music be the food of love…